Over 2,000 images documenting the study of Florida's geological and archaeological sites
Collection Number: S1729
Creator: Florida Geological Survey
Title: Photographs of Florida Geological Features, 1909-1952
Quantity: 2,500 photographs.
The images on this Web site represent a selection from the Florida Geological Survey Collection. The entire collection can be viewed at Florida Geological Survey.
This series consists of photographic prints and negatives taken by Florida Geological Survey photographers to document Florida geological and archeological sites. Images include fossil and mineral specimens, examples of stratigraphic layers and land formations, and mining sites and equipment.
The Department of Environmental Protection was created by the Florida Environmental Reorganization Act of 1993 (93-213, Laws), merging the former Departments of Natural Resources and Environmental Regulation. The Department's mission is to protect, conserve, and manage Florida's environment and natural resources. The Department's responsibilities include management and protection of Florida's marine resources, including endangered species and their habitats; protection, restoration, and management of environmentally important lands and their ecosystems; parks and recreation; water management; and pollution control and environmental protection.
The origins of the Florida Geological Survey can be traced to 1852 when the state legislature established the office of State Engineer and Geologist. Francis I. Dancy was appointed to direct this office, with responsibilities including supervision of the draining of lowlands for agricultural development. Dancy's post was abolished in 1855.
The discovery of phosphate deposits in the 1880s prompted more studies of Florida's geology, and Governor E. A. Perry appointed Dr. John Kost as State Geologist from 1886 to 1887. However, not until 1907 (Chapter 5681, Laws of Florida) did the state legislature establish a permanent Florida Geological Survey (FGS) under the direction of a State Geologist to collect and study Florida's mineral and other geological resources. FGS findings were published in the Florida Geological Survey Bulletin and the Florida Geological Survey Annual Report.
The FGS was placed under the newly-established State Board of Conservation in 1933 and in the new Dept. of Natural Resources when that agency was created in the major state government reorganization of 1971. The FGS is now housed in the Bureau of Geology, Division of Technical Services, Dept. of Environmental Protection. The FGS is the oldest state agency still functioning under its original establishing legislative statute and title.