Florida Memory is administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services, Bureau of Archives and Records Management. The digitized records on Florida Memory come from the collections of the State Archives of Florida and the special collections of the State Library of Florida.
State Archives of Florida
Spring House on the Suwannee River at the Stephen Foster Center - White Springs, Florida..
Series/Collection number: S 1047, Publicity photographs, 1940-1996 ; Box 1, FF32
In the late 1800s, European settlers began promoting White Sulphur Springs, located on the banks of the Suwannee River at the Stephen Foster Center, as a health resort, advertising the sulphuric waters as a cure for almost any ailment. In 1906 the spring was enclosed with gates and a high concrete wall to keep the river out. Buildings on either side of the spring contained shops, dressing rooms, and clinical examination rooms. Among the resort's many famous visitors were Henry Ford and Teddy Roosevelt. The spring house continued to attract visitors as late as the 1950s. Today the original concrete wall and gate still exist.
Chicago Manual of Style
Prophet, Randall G. Spring House on the Suwannee River at the Stephen Foster Center - White Springs, Florida.. 1987. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. <https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/91763>, accessed 27 January 2023.
Prophet, Randall G. Spring House on the Suwannee River at the Stephen Foster Center - White Springs, Florida.. 1987. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. Accessed 27 Jan. 2023.<https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/91763>
AP Style Photo Citation
(State Archives of Florida/Prophet)