- View of the Saint Marks Lighthouse - Wakulla County, Florida
- Photographed in June 1973.
- St. Marks Lighthouse was built between 1827 and 1829 from the limestone ruins of Fort San Marcos de Apalache. It is 85 feet high including its 12-foot base, and was moved in 1842 to its current, more secure site. The reflector light is scratched, legend has it, because it was taken down and hidden in the surrounding salt marsh by Confederate troops during the Civil War. The current optic is a fifth-order lens. Surrounded by 65,000 acres of pristine land dedicated as the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge in 1931, the light can be seen 20 miles out to sea. Although the tower is not open, visitors may stroll the grounds.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 2 x 2 in.
Learn more about the Department of Commerce collection »