[Untitled]

[Untitled]


Image Number

  • c018411

Year

  • 19--

Series Title

Rights

    Biography Note

  • The original 1823 lightship Aurora Borealis served as little more than a harbor light and was replaced in 1825 by a 40-foot tower on a 40-foot bluff with a revolving Argand lamp with parabolic reflectors. A new 171-foot tower with a first-order Henry Lepaute lens was activated in 1859. The lens was damaged by retreating Confederate troops, although the lamp was relighted in 1863 with a fourth-order lens that was replaced with a first-order lens in 1869. The Great Charleston Earthquake of 1886 rocked the tower, stopping the pendulum clocks that rotated the lens. Today the light on the black-and-white Pensacola tower is visible 27 miles at sea.

Photographer/Personal Author

Physical Description

  • 1 photoprint - b&w - 5 x 4 in.

Subject Term

Geographic Term

Subject Corporate

Shelf Number

  • Shelf number: 37405.

Learn more about the Department of Commerce collection »

[Untitled]
[Untitled]

Order Prints

Please select the size and options

[Untitled]
c018411

* Shipping fee: The fee is a flat rate of $2 per order. The expected turnaround is 7 to 10 business days, not inclusive of shipping time. See FAQ for more information. 

Order Scan

Please select the size and options

[Untitled]
c018411

*Scans will be available for download in 3 to 5 business days, and will have a flat $2 per order handling charge. An email will be sent with a link to the download. See FAQ for more information.

For help or more information about ordering see the FAQ or Customer Service

Credit this photo

Chicago Manual of Style

Barron, Charles. [Untitled]. 19--. Black & white photoprint, 5 x 4 in. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. <https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/56824>, accessed 16 January 2019.

MLA

Barron, Charles. [Untitled]. 19--. Black & white photoprint. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. Accessed 16 Jan. 2019.<https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/56824>.

AP Style Photo Citation

(State Archives of Florida/Barron)