- View of the Amelia Island Lighthouse - Fernandina Beach, Florida
- Photographed in June 1953.
- Amelia Island Lighthouse was partially constructed of materials salvaged from the Cumberland Island Lighthouse, located three miles north in Georgia. In 1856, a third-order Fresnel lens was installed. The lighthouse went dark during the Civil War, but it was relighted soon afterwards. Originally 50 feet tall, a cupola added in 1881 raised the tower to 58 feet. The lighthouse marks the entrance to the St. Mary's River near Fernandina Beach, just north and east of Jacksonville.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 5 x 4 in.
Learn more about the Department of Commerce collection »