The series covers such diverse public health topics as yellow fever, communicable diseases, tuberculosis hospitals, quarantines, sanitation, veterinary public health, and child welfare.
In the late 1800s, European settlers began promoting White Sulphur Springs, located on the banks of the Suwannee River at the Stephen Foster Center, as a health resort, advertising the sulphuric waters as a cure for almost any ailment. In 1906 the spring was enclosed with gates and a high concrete wall to keep the river out. Buildings on either side of the spring contained shops, dressing rooms, and clinical examination rooms. Among the resort's many famous visitors were Henry Ford and Teddy Roosevelt. The spring house continued to attract visitors as late as the 1950s. Today the original concrete wall and gate still exist.
Note person standing on the roof.
Accompanying note: "Quality of water of White Sulphur Springs".
Florida Memory is funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Florida Department of State's Division of Library and Information Services.