- Exterior view of Red's Place - Daytona Beach, Florida
- Winder "Red" Cowan built this shack on the beach several miles south of the Main Street pier. It operated as a refueling station for aircraft using the beach, as well as a "refueling" station of sorts for those pilots with a taste for whiskey (this during Prohibition). Cowan owned several planes himself, including a Standard (with Hisso engine) used to transport cases of whiskey. A big storm in 1932 floated Red's Place away "like a houseboat."
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 8 x 10 in.
Learn more about the Reference collection »