Florida Memory is administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services, Bureau of Archives and Records Management. The digitized records on Florida Memory come from the collections of the State Archives of Florida and the special collections of the State Library of Florida.
State Archives of Florida
Glider from the WPA's Camp Roosevelt outside hangar at Taylor Field in Ocala.
, M82-133, Folder 10
Note gliding instructor Woodward F. Barnwell standing at the back of the glider.
Camp Roosevelt, located in Ocala just off highway 301/441, was a resident camp first built for the Army Corps of Engineer crews of the Cross Florida Barge Canal. From 1936 to early 1938, the WPA and the University of Florida assumed ownership for providing adult education classes. Later in 1938, the National Youth Administration (NYA) used it as a girls resident camp - in conjunction with the Marion County Vocational School - to educate and provide job skills to young women (later boys were included). During the 1940s, the NYA conducted defense work out of it, before in 1943 it reverted back to the Army Corps of Engineers. By the late 20th Century, the buildings were part of a residential neighborhood.
Subject - Person
Subject - Corporate
Chicago Manual of Style
Lazarus, William C. Glider from the WPA's Camp Roosevelt outside hangar at Taylor Field in Ocala. 1936 (circa). State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. <https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/342118>, accessed 27 October 2021.
Lazarus, William C. Glider from the WPA's Camp Roosevelt outside hangar at Taylor Field in Ocala. 1936 (circa). State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. Accessed 27 Oct. 2021.<https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/342118>.
AP Style Photo Citation
(State Archives of Florida/Lazarus)