- Saint Joseph Bay Lighthouse
- The first St. Joseph Point Lighthouse, built in 1839, was abandoned after a yellow fever epidemic followed by a hurricane wiped out the town of St. Joseph in 1842. A second lighthouse, only 41 feet tall and built in 1902, marked the entrance to St. Joseph Bay. From the lighthouse, the Coast Guard patrolled the Gulf Coast during WW II, looking for enemy spies coming ashore in rubber rafts. A steel skeleton tower replaced the lighthouse in 1960. The lighthouse was moved to Simmons Bayou in 1979 and is a private residence that is not open to the public. It is easily seen from the street, however, on County Road 30, just south of Highway 98, south of Port St. Joe.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 10 x 8 in.
Learn more about the Reference collection »