- United Confederate Veterans reunion - Marianna, Florida.
- Regimental colors of a Confederate unit captured at the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee on November 30, 1864 by the 111th Ohio Volunteer Infantry were returned. These colors were presented to the Toledo Memorial Association by the survivors of the 111th OVI on January 12, 1906 and by vote of the association were returned. The association was represented by Emery D. Potter, Eli Bourdo and William W. Alcorn all of whom are included in the photograph just left of the center.
- This is part 3 of 3 numbered Rc11595-Rc11597, sn:02477-2479.
- Note the label on part 1 (Rc11595) says that the Confederate flag, returned in 1927, belonged to the 4th Florida Infantry Regiment. Recent research (2010) by the Museum of Florida History and a private flag scholar indicates there is a question whether the 111th Ohio Infantry Regiment captured this flag at the Battle of Franklin, TN on Nov. 30, 1864, or two weeks later at the Battle of Nashville, TN. Further research has raised doubt that this flag was captured from a Florida unit.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 8 x 10 in.
Learn more about the Reference collection »