Florida Memory is administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services, Bureau of Archives and Records Management. The digitized records on Florida Memory come from the collections of the State Archives of Florida and the special collections of the State Library of Florida.
State Archives of Florida
Historic Peck House in St. Augustine.
, Series 1047, Box 6, Folder 1
Shelf number: S1047B6F1.
The Peck House (a.k.a. Old Spanish Treasury), built of native coquina stone, was constructed circa 1750 by order of the King of Spain to be the residence of his royal Treasurer, Juan Esteban de Pena. Dr. Seth Peck acquired the house in 1837; his granddaughter, Anna Gardener Burt, lived there 81 years. Upon Miss Anna's death in 1931, she willed the property to the city of St. Augustine to be exhibited to the public as a house museum.
Marker in foreground at right reads, "The stone walls of this building date from before 1750 and were a part of a house owned by the Royal Treasurer late in the First Spanish Period. During the British Period it served for a time as the home of Governor John Moultrie. In 1837 Dr. Seth S. Peck purchased the house and rebuilt it using the old walls and adding the frame second-story. It remained in the Peck family until willed to the City in 1931. A generous grant from the Flagler Foundation permitted extensive restoration in 1968."
Subject - Person
Subject - Corporate
Chicago Manual of Style
Historic Peck House in St. Augustine. 1969 (circa). State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. <https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/295888>, accessed 29 September 2022.
Historic Peck House in St. Augustine. 1969 (circa). State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. Accessed 29 Sep. 2022.<https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/295888>