The Peck House (a.k.a. Old Spanish Treasury), built of native coquina stone, was constructed circa 1750 by order of the King of Spain to be the residence of his royal Treasurer, Juan Esteban de Pena. Dr. Seth Peck acquired the house in 1837; his granddaughter, Anna Gardener Burt, lived there 81 years. Upon Miss Anna's death in 1931, she willed the property to the city of St. Augustine to be exhibited to the public as a house museum.
Florida Memory is funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Florida Department of State's Division of Library and Information Services.