Opened by C.S. Smallwood, in 1906, after his move from Columbia County. Mainly served as an Indian trading post. Smallwood became postmaster and the store then served as post office. The store was raised by stilts after a 1924 storm and thus escaped the 1926 hurricane.
Florida Memory is funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services.