Construction of the church began in 1835 and was completed in 1838. Oldest public building in Tallahassee. Contains original slave galleries. The building was used many times as a place of refuge during the Seminole Indian raids in 1838 and 1839.
Accompanying note: "Jack E. Boucher, right, prepares to photograph the First Presbyterian Church on Adams street at Park avenue, for preservation in the Library of Congress as Chester Lee Kraft talks with him. The Church is one of six historical structures in the Tallahassee area selected for the national archives by the Historic American Building Survey of the National Park Service. Boucher is with the Survey in Washington. Kraft represents the North Central Florida Chapter of the American Institute of Architects which is cooperating."
Florida Memory is funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services.