Smith v. Croom

Smith v. Croom

Lower Court

  • Leon County


  • 1839


  • 452


  • 805



H.B Croom to B. Croom

New Orleans to Rocky Comfort

April 27[th] " Improved cotton lands in the state (Mississippi) and also on the Yazoo are held at from 20 to 50 dollars an acre. Negroes too are very high men 750, women 500. I expect to get good prices for those I came to see. I have already been offered a cotton plantation of 2000 acres first rate land and 200 negroes, on time, at $150,000. But of course I have no idea of making any such purchase."

" Write to me at NewBorn as soon as the sale of M. & P.'s land is over. Be prudent and active this summer. I hope we shall meet again in October or November."

May 13[th] "I think however we must take longer than two months to decide in the affirmative. If our place on the Apalachicola could be sold at a fair price I would be willing to transfer a part of our negroes to this state."

July 1[st] Philadelphia. "As I ascended the river (Mississippi) and changed climate the weather became colder and my health worse. The consequences is health has suffered a serious injury. The state of my lungs I fear is worse than it has ever been before. At present however I am improving in strength & hope to meet you again in the fall but there is some doubt whether the ensuring winter will not be too much for me unless I could get within the ???." XXXX

"When I reached Norfolk I learned that Mrs. Smith and family were gone on to the North and that my family was with them. I came on to this place and wrote for them to return from New York and meet me here. They did so and at present they are all here Mrs. Armistead and Mrs. Smith return to New York tomorrow. I shall remain here a week or two and then return to New York tomorrow. I shall remain here a week or two and then return to Newborn to prepare for starting to Florida in October."

(Right Side)

H.B. Croom to Bryan Croom

Baltimore to Rocky Comfort

July 8[th] " I wrote you the other day from Philadelphia giving you some count of my present condition. Since that time there appears to have been a steady improvement in my health. It is however very slow, and the issue cannot at present be foreseen, although I do not anticipate any sudden fatality, and my prospects of meeting you again in the fall is very good." XXX "I shall reach NewBorn in a few days and there no doubt I shall find letters from you."

July 22[nd] NewBorn "My health continues to improve and NewBorn to decline. You cannot conceive how the place has altered. Mrs. Smith and all the family would move out of it were not for Mrs. Armistead"

August 1[st] NewBorn " I hope to leave Carolina on my return about the first day of October. I expect to carry out my family. I think that my health improves faster than I had any reason to expect from the condition I was in a few weeks ago."

August 17[th] NewBorn " Shall carry out my family and you will be surprised to learn that Mrs. Smith has resolved to go out with us and Henrietta will accompany her mother. Mrs. Smith wishes to see the Southern Country, and it seems to be her wish that all her children should remove there as she wishes to leave them in prosperous circumstances. Not one of them offers any objection except Mrs. Armistead. If Mrs. S should not be pleased with Florida I should wish her to see Alabama. I do not know what to say to you on the subject of our residence after we get out there for fear of imposing on your goodness. My intention was if it should be agreeable to reside with you for a time and divide with you the expense of your household, in order that my wife might feel as little as possible the want of society. I fear that the addition of two others will render us too numerous. But this is a matter which must settle when we come out. I shall ship a part of my furniture and Books to Charleston and thence to Florida." XXX "We have altered our plans and Mrs. Smith will not go out until next fall by which time she can settle the business of persons estate make disposition of some on the lands.