- Old slave market, St. Augustine, Fla.
- St. Augustine, Fla. : W.J. Harris Co., [19--].
- A nearby historical marker later erected in 1970 reads: "The first public market was established in this Plaza by Governor Mendez de Canzo in 1598. Here, for the first time a standard system of weights and measures was introduced in this country for the protection of the consumer. On this site a market for the sale of meats and produce was erected in 1824, and in use until 1878. This structure was rebuilt by the City in 1888 following a disastrous fire in this area April 11, 1887."
- Depending upon the source, this building is called the Old Spanish Market, the Old Market, or the Old Slave Market.
- Number on back at top: A-21229.
- Accompanying note on back: "The old slave market in the east end of the Plaza is an interesting landmark of antebellum days. It was used as a public market in which slaves were occasionally sold."
- 1 postcard - hand-colored - 9 x 14 cm.
Learn more about the Postcard collection »