Florida Memory is administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services, Bureau of Archives and Records Management. The digitized records on Florida Memory come from the collections of the State Archives of Florida and the special collections of the State Library of Florida.
State Archives of Florida
Saint Augustine Chronology and Coat of Arms.
Number on back, top right: 14129N-73.
Note chronology reads, "Florida discovered by Ponce de Leon, 1513. St. Augustine founded by Menendez, 1565. Plundered and burned by Sir Francis Drake, 1586. Post Office, Formerly Spanish Governor's Mansion. Built 1598. St. Augustine burned by John Davis, a pirate, 1665. Wooden part of town burned by Governor Moore of South Carolina, 1702. City Gates, built 1702-27. Besieged by Oglethorpe, governor of Georgia, 1740. Fort Marion, begun 1586, completed 1756. Florida ceded to Great Britain in exchange for Cuba, 1762. Re-ceded to Spain in exchange for Bahama Islands, 1784. Old Cathedral, built in 1793-97; partly re-built after fire in 1887. Spanish Monument, in Plaza, erected in 1812. Florida ceded to U.S. for five million dollars, 1821. Sea Wall, built 1835-37. Old Slave Market, built in 1840. St. Augustine, Florida, Oldest City in the United States Under Three Flags"
Chicago Manual of Style
Saint Augustine Chronology and Coat of Arms. 20th century. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. <https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/259165>, accessed 19 September 2021.
Saint Augustine Chronology and Coat of Arms. 20th century. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. Accessed 19 Sep. 2021.<https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/259165>.