Florida Memory is administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services, Bureau of Archives and Records Management. The digitized records on Florida Memory come from the collections of the State Archives of Florida and the special collections of the State Library of Florida.
State Archives of Florida
Souvenir viewbook showing the St. James Building and Y.M.C.A. in Jacksonville, Florida.
N2009- 3, Papers, ca 1887-1990; Box 21
Souvenir viewbook addressed to the Planetary Court from D.J. Richards.
The St. James Hotel, opened in 1869, was the largest hotel in the Southeast in the late 1800s. It was also the largest building in Jacksonville. In 1901, the hotel was destroyed in the great city fire. Architect Henry J. Klutho rebuilt it, and it became the Cohen Brothers Store (later known as May-Cohens) in 1912. By the 2000s, Jacksonville city hall had been relocated to the St. James Building. The St. James Building, located at 117 West Duval Street, was later added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The park in front of the hotel was the city's first park. It was called St. James Park until 1899 when it was renamed Hemming Park, after Charles C. Hemming who donated a Confederate monument to the city for the park.
Subject - Person
Subject - Corporate
Chicago Manual of Style
Souvenir viewbook showing the St. James Building and Y.M.C.A. in Jacksonville, Florida. 1937 (circa). State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. <https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/258343>, accessed 17 May 2022.
Souvenir viewbook showing the St. James Building and Y.M.C.A. in Jacksonville, Florida. 1937 (circa). State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. Accessed 17 May. 2022.<https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/258343>.