The Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse took seven years to build due to delays from silting of the inlet and the Third Seminole War. Designed by George Meade, who became a famous Civil War general, the 105-foot tower was lit in 1860 but Confederate sympathizers disabled the light in 1861. Activated again in 1866, its beacon could be seen from 25 miles at sea. A 1928 hurricane smashed one of the first-order Fresnel lens bulls-eye and disabled the generator. The 16-year-old son of the keeper turned the light manually for two days, even though the tower swayed 17 inches from vertical. The repaired bulls-eye still works today and may be seen by visitors. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Florida Memory is funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services.