- Ringling Circus clown Emmett Kelly in a bubble bath.
- Shown as his hobo tramp pantomine character "Weary Willie".
- Photo taken as a favor to Kelly, who wanted the image for his Christmas card. Joe's wife, Lois Foley Steinmetz, was crouched down out of sight behind the chair that held Kelly's clothing, with an egg beater in her hand. After every shot Joe took, Lois would leap out of hiding, use the egg beater to increase the foam in the tub, and conceal herself once again.
- Joseph Janney Steinmetz was a world-renowned commercial photographer whose images appeared in such publications as the Saturday Evening Post, Life, Look, Time, Holiday, Collier's, and Town & Country. His work has been referred to as "an American social history," which documented diverse scenes of American life from affluent northeasterners to middle-class Floridians. Steinmetz moved from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Sarasota, Florida in 1941.
Title of Work
- 1 photonegative - b&w - 5 x 4 in.
Learn more about the Steinmetz collection »