- View showing a section of Fort Barrancas in Pensacola, Florida.
- Photographed in December 1951.
- Fort Barrancas was the last incarnation of a series of forts built on the same site in the Wilmington-area of Pensacola. The English built the first fort in 1763. That was captured by the Spanish during the American Revolution, who renamed it San Carlos de Barrancas (which was re-built in 1797 and again in 1817). The word barrancas means "bluff" in Spanish. From 1839-1844, the United States built the current Fort Barrancas on the same site (including some of the original still standing). The fort was utilized during the Civil War, Spanish-American War, and the Second World War. Later in 1966, it was listed on the National Park Service's Gulf Islands National Seashore and in 1980 it was restored and opened to the public as a National Landmark.
- Joseph Janney Steinmetz was a world-renowned commercial photographer whose images appeared in such publications as the Saturday Evening Post, Life, Look, Time, Holiday, Collier's, and Town & Country. His work has been referred to as "an American social history," which documented diverse scenes of American life from affluent northeasterners to middle-class Floridians. Steinmetz moved from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Sarasota, Florida in 1941.
- 1 photonegative - b&w - 4 x 5 in.
Learn more about the Steinmetz collection »