- Seminole woman with children gigging from a dugout canoe on a Florida canal along the Tamiami Trail.
- Photographed on January 3, 1951.
- She may be gigging for fish or frogs near the Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation.
- Joseph Janney Steinmetz was a world-renowned commercial photographer whose images appeared in such publications as the Saturday Evening Post, Life, Look, Time, Holiday, Collier's, and Town & Country. His work has been referred to as "an American social history," which documented diverse scenes of American life from affluent northeasterners to middle-class Floridians. Steinmetz moved from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Sarasota, Florida in 1941.
- 1 transparency - col. - 5 x 4 in.
Learn more about the Steinmetz collection »