- Amelia Island Lighthouse near Fernandina Beach, Florida.
- The Amelia Island Lighthouse was partially constructed of materials salvaged from the Cumberland Island Lighthouse, located three miles north in Georgia. In 1856, a third-order Fresnel lens was installed. The lighthouse went dark during the Civil War, but it was relighted soon afterwards. Originally 50 feet tall, a cupola added in 1881 raised the tower to 58 feet. The lighthouse marks the entrance to the St. Mary's River near Fernandina Beach, just north and east of Jacksonville. It was later added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
Additional Corporate Creator
Learn more about the Department of Commerce collection »