Florida Memory is administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services, Bureau of Archives and Records Management. The digitized records on Florida Memory come from the collections of the State Archives of Florida and the special collections of the State Library of Florida.
State Archives of Florida
View showing the Knott House at 301 E. Park Ave. on the corner of Calhoun St. in Tallahassee, Florida.
L 643, Box 1
Special districts--Florida--Leon County--Tallahassee
Civic improvement--Florida--Leon County--Tallahassee
Historic buildings--Florida--Leon County--Tallahassee
Architecture, Domestic--Florida--Leon County--Tallahassee
Colonial revival (Architecture)
Location: 30699, E.
To accomplish its goals, the TDIA assists in creating reports and surveys about the downtown area which have led to a variety of projects and programs relating to parking, pedestrian accommodations, business, and recreational opportunties. Over the years the TDIA has also created events to promote the downtown area. Some, such as the Downtown Market and the Winter Festival, continue to this day. The TDIA also promotes the beautification of the downtown district through new banners and other aesthetic programs. TDIA also participates in commemorative events such as the celebration of the Florida A&M University Marching Band participating in the Bastille Day Bicentennial.
The Tallahassee Downtown Improvement Authority (TDIA) authorizing legislation was created by an act of the Florida legislature in 1971, as a special assessment district. The mission of the TDIA is to promote downtown Tallahassee as a place for business and entertainment. The TDIA was created as a special assessment district by authorizing legislation passed by the Florida Legislature (chapters 71-935 and 91-394, codified as Chapter 2003-356, Laws of Florida). The district's boundaries are Tennessee Street on the north, Gadsden Street on the East, Jefferson Street on the south, and Bronough Street on the west. A board of directors appointed by the Mayor and approved by the City of Tallahassee Commission governs the TDIA. Board members must be property owners and tax payers within the TDIA district.
The house was built circa 1839-42 for Catherine Gamble, bride of Thomas Holmes Hagner, U.S. minister to the court of King George. The east end of the block was taken up with formal gardens that were said to be the site of the first Japonica tree in Florida (brought from England to Mrs. Hagner's home in Virginia). Dr. George W. Betton bought the property in 1880 and altered it in 1885. Later it was the home of the Carters, Shacklefords, and Knotts. In 1928 W.V. Knott, State Treasurer of Florida, altered the front by removing the one-story porch and replacing it with the two-story portico and columns. Later the house was given to the Department of State and opened to the public as the Knott House Museum in 1992.
Subject - Person
Subject - Corporate
Chicago Manual of Style
Tallahassee Downtown Improvement Authority. View showing the Knott House at 301 E. Park Ave. on the corner of Calhoun St. in Tallahassee, Florida. 1980. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. <https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/233707>, accessed 3 October 2022.
Tallahassee Downtown Improvement Authority. View showing the Knott House at 301 E. Park Ave. on the corner of Calhoun St. in Tallahassee, Florida. 1980. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. Accessed 3 Oct. 2022.<https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/233707>
AP Style Photo Citation
(State Archives of Florida/Tallahassee Downtown Improvement Authority.)