Florida Memory is administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services, Bureau of Archives and Records Management. The digitized records on Florida Memory come from the collections of the State Archives of Florida and the special collections of the State Library of Florida.
State Archives of Florida
Crowds gathered on the Lafayette Street Bridge in Tampa, Florida.
N2003- 4, Florida real estate promotional photograph album, 1925
Real estate business--Florida--Hillsborough County--Tampa
Land subdivision--Florida--Hillsborough County--Tampa
Movable bridges--Florida--Hillsborough County--Tampa
The Lafayette Street Bridge (construction completed in 1913) was originally named for the French general who helped in the American Revolution but later changed to Kennedy Boulevard Bridge to honor JFK. It is the oldest bascule span in the state.
Note the minarets of the Tampa Bay Hotel in the distance.
Accompanying note: "Florida experienced a land boom in the first half of the 1920s. Investors from across the nation purchased and sold land in the state to cash in on rising land prices. Most of this activity focused upon central and south Florida. Often, new subdivisions were created out of drained wetlands, revamped agricultural fields, and cleared forests. The Florida Real Estate Investment Corporation Properties, a firm based in Chicago that sold land in Tampa and Melbourne, was an example of these land speculators. The land boom ended in 1926 with that year's devastating hurricane, which struck Miami on 17 September."
This image represents a photographic real estate promotional picture for the Florida Real Estate Investment Corporation Properties from 1925. The photograph was used to sell lots in the subdivision Pinecrest Villa located just north of Tampa.
Burgert Brothers commercial photographic studio was founded in 1917 by brothers Alfred (Al) and Jean Burgert. Their father, Samuel Burgert, had been a photographer first in Ohio and Kentucky, then in Jacksonville, and by 1895, in Tampa. Samuel and another son, Willard, opened S.P. Burgert & Son in Ybor City, Tampa in 1899, and Jean and other brothers helped out in the business on and off until Jean and Al founded their own studio. Al bought out Jean's interest in the business in 1943, then retired and sold it in late 1945 to his nephew Thel Burgert (who later sold his interest) and an employee named Al Severson. Severson continued operating the business under the Burgert Brothers name until he retired in 1963.
During the firm's existence, the brothers took over 80,000 photographs. Many of the photographs were published in magazines such as Life and National Geographic, as well as in local newspapers, advertisements, and brochures. Their photographs are identified by the handwritten "Burgert Brothers" logo in the bottom right corner of the prints.
Subject - Corporate
Chicago Manual of Style
Burgert Brothers. Crowds gathered on the Lafayette Street Bridge in Tampa, Florida. 1925-01. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. <https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/18102>, accessed 29 February 2024.
Burgert Brothers. Crowds gathered on the Lafayette Street Bridge in Tampa, Florida. 1925-01. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. Accessed 29 Feb. 2024.<https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/18102>
AP Style Photo Citation
(State Archives of Florida/Burgert Brothers.)