Florida Memory is administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services, Bureau of Archives and Records Management. The digitized records on Florida Memory come from the collections of the State Archives of Florida and the special collections of the State Library of Florida.
State Archives of Florida
Ruins of Dunlawton Plantation Sugar Mill Port Orange, Florida
Written at the bottom right hand corner of the image: "No 229."
Accompanying note: "Albertype Post Card Co."
The Dunlawton Sugar Mill Ruins were once part of the Dunlawton Plantation which grew sugar cane and processed sugar, molasses, and rum. Built c. 1830, the sugar mill complex was destroyed in 1835 during the Second Seminole War (it was 1 of 16 plantations destroyed). In 1846, there was a brief attempt to restore it, but the sugar industry never returned to the area. The ruins consist of brick and coquina structures, as well as some machinery including the rolling sugar cane press, a steam furnace, and iron kettles. For a period in the early 20th Century, it was thought by many to be either a Spanish colonial mission or a 1700s-era plantation. The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 28 August 1973, and later became a botanical gardens owned by Volusia County.
Chicago Manual of Style
Ruins of Dunlawton Plantation Sugar Mill Port Orange, Florida. 1900 (circa). State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. <https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/165278>, accessed 29 November 2023.
Ruins of Dunlawton Plantation Sugar Mill Port Orange, Florida. 1900 (circa). State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. Accessed 29 Nov. 2023.<https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/165278>