- The Gilbert's Bar House of Refuge Hutchinson Island - Stuart, Florida
- Printed on back: "One of ten houses of refuge erected by the U[nited S[tates] Life Saving Service in 1876, it is the only one still in existence."
- Located north of Bathtub Beach on Hutchinson Island east of Stuart. Prior to 1915, the United States Life-Saving Service operated a series of refuge houses on Florida's East coast to rescue survivors from the coast's numerous shipwrecks. The Gilbert's Bar House of Refuge was opened in 1876 on a piece of land called Gilbert's Bar two miles north of St. Lucie Inlet and operated by the US Life-Saving Service from 1876-1915. From 1915-1941, the U.S. Coast Guard operated the station, while the U.S. Navy operated it from 1941 through 1945 when it closed. In 1952, the property was transferred to the Dept. of Interior and by 1955 was the last standing house of refuge. It then became a public museum. In 1973, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- 1 postcard - b&w - 9 x 14 cm.
Learn more about the Postcard collection »