- Newly restored Union Bank building - Tallahassee, Florida
- The building was built ca. 1830 by William Williams. It was chartered in 1832 or 1833 under the organization of John G. Gamble. It was designed to help planters. The bank failed with the collapse of the land boom in 1837, and the bank had its banking powers suspended by a legislative act in 1843. It operated as a Freedman's bank from just after the Civil War, until 1879.
- Note from sleeve: The building has been used as a church, feed store, art house, coffee house, dance studio, locksmith's shop, beauty shop, and shoe factory. Moved in 1971 from original on the west side of Adams, between College and Park, to just east of the Capitol on Apalachee Parkway. Shown 1984 just after restoration completed.
- 1 photonegative - b&w - 4 x 5 in.
Learn more about the General collection »