- Steamship Frederick de Bary making a landing on the St. Johns River
- Photonegative of a postcard by H. & W.B. Drew, Jacksonville, #1939, Florida Artistic Series number R36789.
- The Frederick de Bary was a sidewheel paddle steamer, with a gross tonnage of 395, and a net of 323. It was 161' long, 24' wide, with a depth of 8'. It had a 750 horsepower engine with a vertical beam engine of 36" by 6'.
- The Frederick de Bary was built by Pusey and Jones in Wilmington, Delaware, in 1881 for the De Bary Merchants Line. Its first registered home port was New York City, under the number 120437. There was a fire in 1883 at the Jacksonville wharf that destroyed the wooden cabins and upper decks. It was rebuilt at Wilmington. It was a night boat, that often travelled from Jacksonville to Sanford.
- The Frederick De Bary was owned by the De Bary Merchants Line, until it merged with the Baya Line in 1883, forming the De Bary-Baya Merchants Line. In 1887, Baya sold his portion, resulting in the reforming of the De Bary Merchants Line. In 1902, the Clyde Line bought it, and in 1915, the Potomac & Chesapeake Steamboat Company purchased it. In 1916, the People's Steamboat Company (Atlantic Land and Improvement Company) purchased the Frederick De Bary, and changed the name to the City of Tampa. It is listed as officially abandoned in 1925.
Additional Corporate Creator
- 1 photonegative - b&w - 4 x 5 in.
Learn more about the General collection »