- View of the slaves market in the cathedral plaza - St. Augustine, Florida
- Depending on the source, the "slaves market" is also known as the Old Spanish Market, the Old Market, or the Old Slave Market.
- Photonegative of a cyanotype.
- A nearby historical marker later erected in 1970 reads: "The first public market was established in this Plaza by Governor Mendez de Canzo in 1598. Here, for the first time a standard system of weights and measures was introduced in this country for the protection of the consumer. On this site a market for the sale of meats and produce was erected in 1824, and in use until 1878. This structure was rebuilt by the City in 1888 following a disastrous fire in this area April 11, 1887."
- 1 photonegative - b&w - 4 x 5 in.
Learn more about the General collection »