- Close-up view showing Fort Clinch State Park cannons at Fernandina Beach, Florida.
- Named for General Duncan Lamont Clinch, a prominent figure of the Second Seminole War, construction of Fort Clinch began in 1847. It is one of a series of masonry forts constructed between 1816 and 1867 known as the Third System Fortifications. The fort was built at the mouth of the St. Mary's River to protect the natural deep-water port of Fernandina, the eastern link of Florida's only cross-state railroad. Although no battles were fought here, it was garrisoned during both the Civil and Spanish-American wars. During the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps began preserving and rebuilding many of the structures of the abandoned fort which has been a part of the park system since 1935.
Additional Corporate Creator
- 1 transparency - col. - 60 mm.
Learn more about the Department of Commerce collection »