- Mary Billie displaying work after stuffing Seminole doll with palmetto fibers - Big Cypress Reservation, Florida
- Photographed on July 15, 1980.
- Accompanying note: "Mary stuffs the head with pieces of palmetto fiber. 'If she uses something else like cotton, the needle won't go through that cotton. So she uses that palmetto fiber. Then she would put the palmetto fibers inside the doll to make it stand.'"
- "Mary often saves time by stuffing the bodies with cotton instead of fiber, 'since the body doesn't need much sewing.'"
- Mary B. Billie has been a dollmaker since she was 17. She learned the skill by watching her mother, who had learned it from Mary's grandmother.
Learn more about the Folklife Collection »