- Sign for Munsilna McGundo tabby house on Fort George Island - Jacksonville, Florida
- The sign reads: "Munsilna McGundo House. Named in 1831 by Zephaniah Kingsley in a deed providing for its possession by Munsilna McGundo and her daughter Fatima for the natural lives. Florida Board of Parks."
- Today this structure is called the Thomson Tabby house, for Charles Thomson, who began building it in 1854-5 but never finished it. Tabby is a concrete-like substance made from sand, oyster shells, and lime, a technology transplanted from Africa. The use of tabby was prevalent in Florida and coastal Georgia in the 1700s and early 1800s.
Additional Corporate Creator
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 8 x 10 in.
Learn more about the Florida Park Service Collection »