- Tabby house on Fort George Island - Jacksonville, Florida
- The sign reads: "'Tabby House. A Mrs. A_____ and family at the South end of the Islands,' wrote John McQueen Jr. in 1798. Kingsley gave Masilna McGundo and her daughter a life tenancy in this house."
- Today this structure is called the Thomson Tabby house, for Charles Thomson, who began building it in 1854-5 but never finished it. Tabby is a concrete-like substance made from sand, oyster shells, and lime, a technology transplanted from Africa. The use of tabby was prevalent in Florida and coastal Georgia in the 1700s and early 1800s.
Additional Corporate Creator
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 8 x 10 in.
Learn more about the Florida Park Service Collection »