- Seminole healer Susie Jim Billie, right, and apprentice Mary Johns - Clewiston, Florida
- Photographed in January, 1995.
- Seminole artist Mary Johns learned about herbal medicine from her maternal grandmother and cousin, both of whom were keepers of tribal wisdom.
- Born in Collier County at the turn of the twentieth century, Billie has lived on the Big Cypress Reservation for 35 years. Billie combines extensive knowledge of herbs and their healing properties with songs and rituals in her healing practice.
- Shelf number: S1640B18BC.
Learn more about the Folklife collection »