1 item found
Collection ID is exactly "1" AND Subject is exactly "Nature centers"
Sorted by Title
Fire-controlled landscape at the Birdsong Nature Center

Fire-controlled landscape at the Birdsong Nature Center

Date
1989-01
Description
Ten color slides. Nature enthusiasts Ed and Betty Komarek purchased Birdsong Plantation in 1938 from the Dickey family. Over the decades, they became involved with several biologists and conservationists, such as Henry Stoddard. They used prescribed fire to landscape their property. In 1986, they opened the nature center as a not-for-profit organization. Their land serves as a prime example of the use of fire to maintain a longleaf pine landscape, an old folk tradition that was later validated by scientists in the late 20th century.
Collection
Identifier Title Type Subject Thumbnail
Fire-controlled landscape at the Birdsong Nature CenterFire-controlled landscape at the Birdsong Nature CenterStill ImageWoodworkers
Fieldwork
Nature
Forests and forestry
Landscape
Trees
Pine
Nature centers
Longleaf pine
Flora
Grasses
/fpc/memory/omeka_images/thumbnails/catalog_photo.jpg