William P. DuVal, Florida's first Territorial Governor, wrote his first message to the new Territorial Legislative Council in 1822. Following the practices of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, Florida's first Territorial Legislative Council was appointed by President Monroe and Congress on March 30, 1822 (3 U.S. Statute 654) and consisted of thirteen members from Florida's two counties, St. Johns and Escambia. Congress continued to appoint the Council until 1826, when the Council was made elective (4 U.S. Statute 164, May 15, 1826). Congress first provided for a bicameral Legislative Council for Florida in 1838 (5 U.S. Statute 263, July 7, 1838). The Territorial Legislative Council met annually until January 1845.