Approximately 5,000 published and unpublished images of Tallahassee area people, places, and events taken by Tallahassee Democrat photographers between 1955 and the 1970s. Digitization is still in process — new photos will be available every week.

Collection Number: M87-27

Creator: Tallahassee Democrat (Tallahassee, Fla.: Newspaper)

Title: Photographic Collection, 1955-1970s

Quantity: Approximately 50,000 4x5 and 35mm negatives.
The images on this website represent a selection from the Tallahassee Democrat Collection. The entire collection can be viewed onsite at the State Archives of Florida in Tallahassee.

Description:

This series contains photographic negatives taken by Tallahassee Democrat photographers from the 1950s to the 1970s. The collection includes approximately 100,000 images of Tallahassee area people, places, and events.

Historical Note:

Tallahassee published its first newspaper, the Florida Intelligencer, in 1826. From the territorial period to mid-20th century, nearly 40 Tallahassee newspapers came and went. Many produced just a few issues before folding, while others ran continuously for several years. In 1905, John G. Collins established the Weekly True Democrat, which evolved into Tallahassee’s longest running newspaper. Milton A. Smith purchased the newspaper in 1908 and changed the name to the Daily Democrat on April 15, 1915. Capital City Publishing, under the leadership of Lloyd C. Griscom, acquired the Daily Democrat in 1929. On July 31, 1949, Griscom changed the name of the newspaper to the Tallahassee Democrat, which current ownership retains today. In its early days, the newspaper occupied a building on Adams Street in downtown Tallahassee. The newspaper moved to another nearby location on the corner of Call and Adams Streets, where it was housed from 1953 until 1968. In 1968, operations shifted to the current Magnolia Street location. Knight-Ridder Newspapers, Inc. purchased the Tallahassee Democrat in 1965, and later sold it to the Gannett Company, Inc. in 2005.