Credit this photo: State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory, http://floridamemory.com/items/show/47248
(please include photographer's name when noted).
- Group portrait of Florida Supreme Court Justices and ex-justices in the Central Courtroom at the U.S. Courthouse in Miami, Florida.
- Photographed on April 23, 1993.
- Justices standing (L-R): Leander Shaw, Chief Justice Rosemary Barkett, Parker Lee McDonald, Ben Overton.
- Shown during a Florida Supreme Court Historical Society oral history program ceremony to acknowledge and celebrate the career of ex-justice Joseph A. Boyd (served from January 7, 1969 to January 6, 1987).
- Ex-justices seated: Raymond Ehrlich (served 1981-1991), Joseph Boyd (served 1969-1987), James Alderman (served 1978-1985).
- Joseph A. Boyd was born on November 16, 1916 in Jackson County, Georgia, he moved to Florida in 1939. He fought in World War II as a U.S. Marine. Boyd then moved to Miami where he earned a law degree from the University of Miami while working as a hotel clerk. Following his 1948 graduation, he served as the Hialeah city attorney. From 1958 through 1968, Boyd served on the Dade County City Commission. Joseph A. Boyd, Jr. served as a Florida Supreme Court justice from January 7, 1969 through January 6, 1987, and was Chief Justice from 1984 through 1986. After retiring the court, Boyd worked as a private attorney with his son, Joe Boyd. He also wrote a series of children's books. He died on October 26, 2007 and was buried in MeadowWood Memorial Park in Tallahassee.
- Barkett, Rosemary, 1939-
- Overton, Ben F. (Benjamin Frederick), 1926-2012
- Shaw, Leander J., Jr., 1930-
- McDonald, Parker Lee, 1924-
- Ehrlich, Raymond, 1918-2005.
- Alderman, James E.. 1936-
- Boyd, Joseph A., Jr., 1916-2007.
Learn more about the Supreme Court collection »
Order by Mail
State Archives of Florida
500 S. Bronough St.
MS #9 D
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
(Please do not send cash in the mail.)
Order by Phone
Archives Photographic and Film Unit
Please include the image number, size of the print desired, and cropping instructions with your order.
The image number for this photograph is: SC00312.
Mailing fees: The fee is $2 for purchases under $50 and $4 for purchases over $50.
Please include the image number and size of the print desired with your order. For video duplication, include the film title and format desired.
|5" x 7" black & white prints
|5" x 7" color prints
|8" x 10" black & white prints
|8" x 10" color prints
|11" x 14" black & white prints
|11" x 14" color prints
|16" x 20" black & white prints
|Negatives of photos in collection
|Sepia toning of prints
High Resolution Scans
Scanned @300 DPI
Oversize or fragile documents may not be eligible for scanning.
|$10.00 per image
When ordering copies of a photograph, unless otherwise specified, the dimensions of the original image will be preserved. This means that there may be white space around the image on the paper.
You may choose to have an image cropped to fit standard frame sizes, but please be aware that part of the image may be lost in the cropping.
Entire image on 8x10 paper
White space above and below the image.
Part of the image is lost in the cropping.