- Jailed minister reads support message - Tallahassee, Florida.
- Photographed on August 5, 1964.
- In June 1961 Interfaith Freedom Riders challenged segregated interstate buses by traveling from Washington, D.C. to Tallahassee, Florida. After successfully completing the Freedom Ride they had planned to fly home but first decided to test whether or not the group would be served in the segregated airport restaurant. As a result 10 Freedom Riders, later known as the Tallahassee Ten, were arrested for unlawful assembly. They were released on bond following their conviction and sentence later that same month which was followed by about 3 years of legal appeals. The 10 original riders returned to Tallahassee to serve brief jail terms in August 1964 and were released after serving 4 days of their 60-day sentences.
- Accompanying note: "Rabbi Israel Dresner, of Springfield, New Jersey, one of the nine clergymen jailed on a 60-day sentence rather than pay fines of $500 each, reads messages of support for their integration activities. The group was arrested in 1961 for a restaurant sit-in demonstration and have been free on $1,000 bonds. All but one of the white and Negro ministers are wearing regulation city prison clothing. Standing to the right from Rabbi Dresner are Reverend Petty D. McKinney from Nyack, New York; Reverend A. McArven Warner (only partly visible) from New York City; and Reverend Robert J. Stone from New York City. Seated is Dr. Robert McAfee Brown, faculty member of Stanford University."
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 10 x 8 in.
Learn more about the Reference collection »
Order by Mail
State Archives of Florida
500 S. Bronough St.
MS #9 D
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
(Please do not send cash in the mail.)
Order by Phone
Archives Photographic and Film Unit
Please include the image number, size of the print desired, and cropping instructions with your order.
The image number for this photograph is: RC12790.
Mailing fees: The fee is $2 for purchases under $50 and $4 for purchases over $50.
Please include the image number and size of the print desired with your order. For video duplication, include the film title and format desired.
|5" x 7" black & white prints
|5" x 7" color prints
|8" x 10" black & white prints
|8" x 10" color prints
|11" x 14" black & white prints
|11" x 14" color prints
|16" x 20" black & white prints
|Negatives of photos in collection
|Sepia toning of prints
High Resolution Scans
Scanned @300 DPI
Oversize or fragile documents may not be eligible for scanning.
|$10.00 per image
When ordering copies of a photograph, unless otherwise specified, the dimensions of the original image will be preserved. This means that there may be white space around the image on the paper.
You may choose to have an image cropped to fit standard frame sizes, but please be aware that part of the image may be lost in the cropping.
Entire image on 8x10 paper
White space above and below the image.
Part of the image is lost in the cropping.