Credit this photo: State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory, http://floridamemory.com/items/show/252663
(please include photographer's name when noted).
- Doctors, administrators and graduating nurses at the Florida State Hospital in Chattahoochee, Florida.
- Included but not in order: M. Rowan, T. Alday, M. Brooks, A. Jones, M. Clark, T. Thomas, M. Bowman, M. McRae, L. Altman, C. Askins, S. Hunt, J. Duke (later Domin in 1937), G. Lindsey, N. Sawyer, A. Hentz, V. McDonald, L. Harrison, M. McCarty, C. Scott, M. Simms, Grace Crutchfield, S. Ballou, Dr. Roberts.
- Jessie Alma Duke Domin (12 Apr 1899-31 Mar 1995) graduated from the nursing program at F.S.H. in 1925/26 and later retired as the head of nurses in 1959.
- The hospital was originally the site of the Chattahoochee Arsenal (also known as the Mt. Vernon Arsenal) built in the 1830s. In 1868, under Governor Harrison Reed, the U.S. arsenal property at Chattahoochee became Florida's first penitentiary. The hospital's current Administration Building is the original Officers Quarters of that Arsenal and was later added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. It had served as a supply depot during the Seminole Wars. The Florida State Hospital was created in 1877 as the Florida Asylum for the Indigent Insane (Ch. 3035, Laws of Florida, 1877). In 1886, it was renamed the Florida Hospital for the Insane. In 1919, it received its present name, the Florida State Hospital. The Board of Commissioners of State Institutions (Ch. 3578, Acts, 1885) had general supervision over the state psychiatric hospital until 1969. At that time, it was placed under the supervision of the Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services (Ch. 69-106, Laws of Florida) and later under the Department of Children and Families (Chapter 96-403, Laws of Florida).
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 5 x 7 in.
- Lindsey, G.
- Sawyer, N.
- Hentz, A.
- McDonald, V.
- McCarty, M.
- Scott, C.
- Simms, M.
- Crutchfield, Grace.
- Ballou, S.
- Roberts, Dr.
- Domin, Jessie Alma Duke, 1899-1995.
- Hunt, S.
- Askins, C.
- Altman, L.
- McRae, M.
- Bowman, M.
- Thomas, T.
- Clark, M.
- Jones, A.
- Brooks, M.
- Alday, T.
- Rowan, M.
- Harrison, L.
Learn more about the Print collections »
Order by Mail
State Archives of Florida
500 S. Bronough St.
MS #9 D
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
(Please do not send cash in the mail.)
Order by Phone
Archives Photographic and Film Unit
Please include the image number, size of the print desired, and cropping instructions with your order.
The image number for this photograph is: PR295065.
Mailing fees: The fee is $2 for purchases under $50 and $4 for purchases over $50.
Please include the image number and size of the print desired with your order. For video duplication, include the film title and format desired.
|5" x 7" black & white prints
|5" x 7" color prints
|8" x 10" black & white prints
|8" x 10" color prints
|11" x 14" black & white prints
|11" x 14" color prints
|16" x 20" black & white prints
|Negatives of photos in collection
|Sepia toning of prints
High Resolution Scans
Scanned @300 DPI
Oversize or fragile documents may not be eligible for scanning.
|$10.00 per image
When ordering copies of a photograph, unless otherwise specified, the dimensions of the original image will be preserved. This means that there may be white space around the image on the paper.
You may choose to have an image cropped to fit standard frame sizes, but please be aware that part of the image may be lost in the cropping.
Entire image on 8x10 paper
White space above and below the image.
Part of the image is lost in the cropping.