- Governor Bush joins President at White House to take historic action protecting Florida from drilling.
- Photographed on May 29, 2002.
- Accompanying note: "At the White House, President George W. Bush made an unprecedented commitment to Florida Governor Jeb Bush, protecting both Florida's beaches and the Everglades from oil and gas drilling."
- "Previous environmental protection commitments focused on stopping the expansion of new oil and gas exploration and development in Florida. [This] action will actually buy back existing privately-owned and previously-leased rights to oil and gas interests."
- "The President's actions include a negotiated agreement between the federal government and several petroleum companies to extinguish existing rights to drill just 25 miles off of Florida's northwest coast near Pensacola, in an area known as Destin Dome. This area has long been recognized as the most likely to see oil and gas development off of Florida's coast and has been the subject of ongoing federal litigation."
- "At the same time, the President and Governor announced an agreement for the National Park Service to purchase privately-held oil and gas drilling rights within three critical portions of the greater Everglades ecosystem: the Big Cypress National Preserve (729,000 acres immediately adjacent to Everglades National Park), the Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge (26,400 acres) and the Ten Thousand Island National Wildlife Refuge (35,000 acres). As a strong sign of the joint state/federal commitment to the 30-year Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan, the National Park Service will purchase these rights from the Collier family, who retained these interests years ago. This announcement essentially shuts down any potential for new oil rigs in the Everglades and represents the next step forward in the historic Everglades project, the largest ecosystem restoration project in history."
Learn more about the Political collection »
Order by Mail
State Archives of Florida
500 S. Bronough St.
MS #9 D
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
(Please do not send cash in the mail.)
Order by Phone
Archives Photographic and Film Unit
Please include the image number, size of the print desired, and cropping instructions with your order.
The image number for this photograph is: PT05064.
Mailing fees: The fee is $2 for purchases under $50 and $4 for purchases over $50.
Please include the image number and size of the print desired with your order. For video duplication, include the film title and format desired.
|5" x 7" black & white prints
|5" x 7" color prints
|8" x 10" black & white prints
|8" x 10" color prints
|11" x 14" black & white prints
|11" x 14" color prints
|16" x 20" black & white prints
|Negatives of photos in collection
|Sepia toning of prints
High Resolution Scans
Scanned @300 DPI
Oversize or fragile documents may not be eligible for scanning.
|$10.00 per image
When ordering copies of a photograph, unless otherwise specified, the dimensions of the original image will be preserved. This means that there may be white space around the image on the paper.
You may choose to have an image cropped to fit standard frame sizes, but please be aware that part of the image may be lost in the cropping.
Entire image on 8x10 paper
White space above and below the image.
Part of the image is lost in the cropping.