Ybor City

Ybor City

Title

  • Ybor City

Published Date

  • published 1941

Transcript

[page 9]
Italians and Spaniards mingle socially and intermarry to a considerable extent.

The Latin districts have their own stores, theatres, movie houses,
schools, churches, and newspapers, as well as clubs, hospitals, and clinics.
Stores advertise their wares in both Spanish and English. One sees signs on the
store-fronts; Aqui se Habla Ingles (English spoken here), while barber shops,
grocery stores, bakeries, and meat markets are labeled respectively as Barberia,
Bodega, Panaderia, and Carneceria. As comparatively few of the older Latin
generations speak or read the English language, there are three daily papers
printed in Spanish. La Panza and La Traduccionare are published each morning
except Sundays. La Gaeeta, an afternoon paper, issues a syndicated Sunday
magazine under the name of El Heraldo Dominical. This contains fiction,
rotogravure sections, and comic supplements in Spanish. The newspaper are
fine examples of modern journalism, featuring news and gossip from Spain,
Cuba, and Italy, as well as affairs of the United States. Their advertising
columns are used liberally by Spanish-American merchants.

Since Ybor City has been taken into the corporate limits of the City of
Tampa, there has been considerable social and material improvements. More
schools have been erected, sanitary conditions have been improved, and streets
have been paved.