Florida Memory will be down for scheduled maintenance today, October 31st, from 5 pm until 7 pm. We apologize for any inconvenience.


The Old Plaza of St. Augustine

The Old Plaza of St. Augustine

Title

  • The Old Plaza of St. Augustine

Published Date

  • published 1940

Transcript

[page 5]
the coquina fašade and walls remained standing. The same year Bishop
Moore raised the necessary funds and the church was rebuilt. In the old
fašade are four bells: the inscription "Sante-Joseph-Ora-Pre-Nebis, 1632
(St. Joseph Pray Far Us) is still legible on the smallest bell, reputed to be the
oldest in the country. Beautiful stained glass windows tell the story of the
religious life of Augustine the Patron Saint of the city. The Cathedral
parish of St. Augustine is the oldest in the United States, and its records,
preserved in the Cathedral, date from 1594.

Trinity Episcopal Church, an imposing structure of English
Gothic architecture, stands at the SE, corner of St. George and King
Streets. During the early days of Spanish occupation this site was
occupied by the Catholic Bishop's dwelling. The cornerstone of Trinity
was laid on June 23, 1825. The years passed, the Parish prospered, and
the original structure was enlarged and remodeled. Today, the north
porch and tower, the walls of the north transcept and the baptistery are
the only remaining portions of the old building. It was the first
Episcopal Church erected in Florida.

Separating the East Plaza from the West Plaza (Post Office Park)
is the Post Office. This building was constructed in 1936-37 along the
lines of a 1764 drawing. The first building on this site was erected by
Gonzales Menendez de Canze between 1597-1603 and was sold to
Pedro de Barra, Governor of Florida, for 1000 ducats. From that time on
it was known as the Governor's Mansion. Repaired and built of stone to
the second floor in 1690, it was damaged by fire in 1702 during Gov-