The Old Plaza of St. Augustine

The Old Plaza of St. Augustine

Title

  • The Old Plaza of St. Augustine

Published Date

  • published 1940

Transcript

[page 2]
palace of the early Spanish governor. It is now occupied by the United
States Post Office. Visible from the square are the Ponce de Leon and
Alcazar hotels.

Around the ancient Plaza are located many of the city's business
houses, presenting a strange contrast between the old and new.
Although the age of the Plaza appears to be hidden behind the present
scene of modernity, after a brief pause the atmosphere of age slowly
creeps back into the square.

At the east end of the Plaza is the approach to the Bridge of
Lions. Dedicated in 1927, this structure is concrete with a steel draw
bridge in the center. It is 1,545 feet from shore to shore. From the
square the bridge presents a striking picture of vivid white in contrast to
the green waters of Matanzas Bay. This toll-free bridge derives its name
from two monumental lions of Italian marble that guard the bridge
approach. The bridgehead is a flowered park which extends to the Plaza.

Within the Plaza are two circles, gifts to the city from the late Dr. Andrew
Anderson. At the north and is the Anderson Circle which contains a flagstaff
dedicated to the soldiers of the World War, 1917-18. At the base of the shaft is a
bronze plaque commemorating the most important events in the city's history.

At the south end of the square in the Ponce de Leon Circle named
for the statue of the famous explorer in its center. The statue is a replica
of a monument to De Leon in the city of San Juan, Puerto Rico. The
statue was made from an ancient cannon.