- Kathleen Cleaver, right, leaving airplane during her visit to Tallahassee, Florida.
- Photographed on November 26, 1971.
- Note Denise Oliver [later Velez] at the left.
- Kathleen Neal Cleaver was born on May 13, 1945 in Dallas, Texas. In November 1967 she moved to San Francisco to join the Black Panther Party and became the communications secretary and the first female member of the Party's decision-making body. She also served as the spokesperson and press secretary. Married Eldridge Cleaver on December 27, 1967. In 1971, Huey Newton, a fellow party member, and Eldridge had a disagreement; this led to the expulsion of the International Branch of the Black Panther Party. The Cleavers formed a new organization called the Revolutionary People's Communication Network.
- Photographer John Buckley grew up in Newport, Rhode Island and lived with his family for a time in Canada before moving to Panama City in the early 1950s. It was in Florida schools that he became acutely aware of racism and segregation in the Deep South. These experiences would have a lasting effect on his later life as an activist and photographer. He attended Florida State University from 1963 until 1967 and graduated with a degree in physics. While at FSU, he became deeply involved in political and social movements. In addition to taking pictures, he helped organize workers' strikes in Tallahassee and worked as a platform speaker and photographer for civil rights demonstrations, anti-war rallies, anti-nuclear demonstrations, and women's rights demonstrations. He passed away on December 7, 2008.
- 1 photonegative - b&w - 35 mm.
Learn more about the John Buckley collection »
Order by Mail
State Archives of Florida
500 S. Bronough St.
MS #9 D
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
(Please do not send cash in the mail.)
Order by Phone
Archives Photographic and Film Unit
Please include the image number, size of the print desired, and cropping instructions with your order.
The image number for this photograph is: JB00189.
Mailing fees: The fee is $2 for purchases under $50 and $4 for purchases over $50.
Photographic and Video Reproduction
Please include the image number and size of the print desired with your order. For video duplication, include the film title and format desired.
|5" x 7" black & white prints
|5" x 7" color prints
|8" x 10" black & white prints
|8" x 10" color prints
|11" x 14" black & white prints
|11" x 14" color prints
|16" x 20" black & white prints
|Negatives of photos in collection
|Sepia toning of prints
High Resolution Scans
Scanned @300 DPI
Oversize or fragile documents may not be eligible for scanning.
|$10.00 per image
When ordering copies of a photograph, unless otherwise specified, the dimensions of the original image will be preserved. This means that there may be white space around the image on the paper.
You may choose to have an image cropped to fit standard frame sizes, but please be aware that part of the image may be lost in the cropping.
Entire image on 8x10 paper
White space above and below the image.
Part of the image is lost in the cropping.