On March 4, 1824, Governor William P. Duval designated Tallahassee as the capital of the Florida territory.
The map above, published by Norris, Wellge & Company in 1885, provides a bird’s-eye view of the city fifty years after its designation as capital of the Florida territory. According to a census taken in 1825, 996 peopled lived in Leon County. The city’s population at that time probably did not exceed 200.
By 1890, Leon County’s population reached nearly 18,000, while the city limits contained about 2,200 residents. Like many other communities in the late 19th century South, the majority of Tallahassee’s population lived in the rural areas surrounding the city.
In 2017, the city of Tallahassee is home to roughly 190,000 people, with a metropolitan area population of about 378,000.