In about 1890, John Gilmore Riley (1857-1954) built a family home near the Smokey Hollow neighborhood in Tallahassee. That structure, preserved and rehabilitated beginning in the 1970s through the hard work of several community organizations, is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and home to the John G. Riley Museum.
Riley served as an educator for nearly 50 years, and as a leader in the African American community throughout his entire life. He took his first teaching job in Wakulla County in 1877 and later became principal of Lincoln Academy.
This week, the John G. Riley Museum opens a new visitor center to the public. Special events throughout the week (September 24 – September 28) celebrate the life and legacy of John G. Riley and the history of the Smokey Hollow community.