In 1947, the Florida State College for Women (FSCW) became the coeducational Florida State University (FSU). When men enrolled in Tallahassee for the first time in over 40 years, plans emerged to field a football team as soon as possible.
Until 1950, FSU played its home football games at Centennial Field on South Monroe Street, near the State Capitol Building in Tallahassee. Dubbed the “Bleacher Bowl,” Centennial Field hosted baseball and high school football games prior the late 1940s.
In order to prepare Centennial Field for college football, the City of Tallahassee pledged $14,000 to purchase 3,000 portable bleachers. The price of admission during FSU’s inaugural season: $2.40 for reserved seating; $1.80 for general admission. Fans could opt to purchase season tickets at a cost of $7.20.
After FSU moved to Doak Campbell, Centennial Field hosted occasional sporting events. The photo above shows action from a softball game between the Governor’s staff and the Legislative staff in 1968.
FSU played its first game at Doak Campbell Stadium on October 8, 1950.
The former site of Centennial Field is currently being developed by the City of Tallahassee, and will become part of Cascades Park.